Monday, December 18, 2006

TRACK 12: POSTCARDS FROM ITALY


POSTCARDS FROM ITALY by Beirut.

We're going to do two posts today to have this all wrapped up in time for Christmas.

There's very little we can say about Postcards From Italy that hasn't already been said on the 1,435 blogs (and counting) that have posted on this song in the last nine months. It's a real 2006 story: a heretofore unknown 19 year old Zach Condon (who records under the name Beirut) posted this song on his myspace site, people started picking up on it, and next thing you know, Condon is an internet celebrity, Beirut is selling out and then cancelling shows due to "nervous exhaustion." What a year.

We didn't create the hype, but we think Postcards From Italy is a wonderful song.

LISTEN.

Photo: Rome, 1996.

Home

3 comments:

BWK's Mom said...

Love that horn!! Unexpected. For awhile, I could almost hear metal clinking at the edges of a woman's moorish robe, if that makes sense. Then, when I was still thinking about that, I swear you could actually hear bangles. Brought a smile to my face that the artist had me going in that direction before he ever put it in there. At least that is what I heard.

BWK's Mom said...

I just had to listen to this, again. Thanks, Bill.

BWK's Mom said...

And Amy.