Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I AM THE GREATEST SAYS MUHAMMED ALI


I AM THE GREATEST SAYS MUHAMMED ALI by Dr. Alimantado.

Today's offering comes from one of the great Jamaican albums, and in my mind the GREATEST Jamaican album cover. It's from the Best Dressed Chicken In Town (making it also one of the greatest album titles too!)

I Am The Greatest Says Muhammed Ali is just a little goof mixed by Lee Perry. This track should be played really loud but not paid much attention to. Maybe Stu can pop in and tell us what song is sampled because I've drawn a blank on the name of it.and then listened to very closely! ...Having a little more time to blog this evening, I've reconsidered my blurb here. The only thing I'll say in defense of my earlier statement is that there's nothing of any social or political significance, so in that sense you don't need to pay any attention to it (it's an instrumental after all!) Musically, though, there's SO much going on. Like a lot of Scratch Perry tracks, it sounds inside out, where everything that should be prominent is buried, and all of the guts & viscera are out in the open. This track features some distracted wah wah guitar, organ, and especially paranoid wood block scraping.

Oh, and one more thing, the misspelling of Ali's name is Alimantado's (or Greensleeves), not mine!

LISTEN.

Photo: Soho, snowy.

Home

No comments: