Tuesday, July 29, 2008

AND I LOVE HER


Listen to AND I LOVE HER by The Detroit Emeralds.

I can't quite put my finger on why I like this cover of And I Love Her so much. Whereas the formality of the original tends toward the awkward and earnest (not necessarily bad things), the formality here is more baroque and sophisticated. It's less about the sentiment than about showing off the band's (and producer's) chops.

Also, I have a thing for the Detroit Emeralds. They're a bunch of fellas who took the time-honored journey up from Arkansas to Michigan (like the Chambers Brothers), and (less importantly, I admit) recorded one of my favorite soul singles, Baby Let Me Take You (In My Arms) (sampled heavily in Eazy-Duz-It, a song we heard coming out of a car in Bed-Stuy this weekend. Thanks, car, for putting me in the mind to blog today's song!)

Photo: Manhattan bridge details (2).

Home

1 comment: