Friday, July 25, 2008

I CANT GO FOR THAT:SAY NO GO:MY CREW CANT GO FOR THAT and SOFT


Listen to I CANT GO FOR THAT:SAY NO GO:MY CREW CANT GO FOR THAT by Hall & Oates:De La Soul:DV Alias Khrist.
Listen to SOFT by Lemon Jelly.

Jason dropping in.

Bill's sticking with Beatles' covers so I'll take a twist on the theme. Two songs that "cover" previous works. One is a song that samples a classic. The other is a song that mashes a song that samples a classic with the classic itself.

First up is a track from French DJ Arthur King's "Pop Sh!t" - a compilation in which he mashes hip-hop tracks with the 80s pop tunes that begat them. Brooklyn rapper Khryst/Khrist (or Scranton if you want his real name) takes us over the robobeat of Hall & Oates before segueing into one of my seminal songs of 1989 - "Say No Go" by the D.A.I.S.Y agers of De La. That song will forever remind me of the first year I hit the clubs. Of course, it was years before I realised that the song sampled Hall & Oates.

Second is from British electronauts Lemon Jelly. This was a filler track for the "Nice Weather for Ducks" single and I heard it whilst checking them out live at the Roskilde music festival in Denmark, 2003. The sample is Chicago's "If You Leave Me Now".

The thing that marks out both tracks for me is that they both incorporate classic tracks. More importantly, you get to hear the pieces you want from them. Not just a repeating snippet - or a teasing sample that makes you itch for the chorus. The "ooh ooh ooh ooh" in Soft seems like its just gonna stay that way, obsessive compulsing as it does over those strings for nearly two-and-a-half minutes. But then, just as you think the song's ending, in comes Peter "Et" Cetera.

Nice.

Photo: Tuileries, Paris, 2003. Taken by Jason Bryant

Home

No comments: