Wednesday, March 25, 2009

JUST LIKE TOM THUMB'S BLUES



Listen to
Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues (Manchester, 1966) by Bob Dylan.
What is there really to say about this song that hasn't already been said. But it's my absolute favorite Bob Dylan song. And, since he mentions Easter, I have always thought of this as a spring song. This live version is from 1966's famous "Judas" concert in Manchester.


I ask you- has there ever been a better opening musically and lyrically in all of pop music than: "When you're lost in the rain in Juarez/and it's Easter time too/and your gravity fails/and negativity won't pull you through"? I think the only possible candidate is another Bob song (see: Idiot Wind).

According to my rock consultant, Corbett: Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues represents everything that Bob does best. How true: there's corrupt authorities, shady but alluring women, a cryptic song title, bittersweet lyrics scathingly delivered, a swaggering tune, and an outrageous final line. Yep, Bob at his best.


Photo: Crabapple Trees, Conservatory Garden.

Home

1 comment:

Corbett said...

I think it is only fair to mention this should be credited to Bob Dylan & the Hawks.