Thursday, February 7, 2008

AUTUMN ALMANAC


Listen to AUTUMN ALMANAC by The Kinks.

And so we've reached the end of our little series on Rasa Davies. Today we bring you Autumn Almanac, which is surely one of the best three songs The Kinks ever wrote and therefore as good a song as you'll hear anywhere.

The thing about Autumn Almanac is that it is one of Ray's most formally sophisticated songs and also one of his most emotionally effective. It's really Beatlesy, with its Day In The Life-style interlude and in the phasings in the outro. Happily for Ray (and for the length of this post), it's a song that has always been recognized as truly great, so I don't think it's necessary to go to great lengths breaking it down.

But once again, Rasa Davies makes a grand contribution to the song. For once her vocal part is really complex. You can't easily hum along with it like you can with many of her other parts, but it's just as beautiful and mournful as anything she did for The Kinks. A great song, and a great way to cap off this little series if I do say so myself.

Photo: Autumn afternoon.

Home

2 comments:

Lady Beekeeper said...

"Today we bring you Autumn Almanac, which is surely one of the best three songs The Kinks ever wrote and therefore as good a song as you'll hear anywhere."

Exceptional sentence. I appreciate it.

Malc said...

I'm so impressed that you've run this little feature on Rasa. I've recently rediscovered the classic Kinks albums, Face to Face, Village Green and Something Else. Of the three the latter gains massively from Rasa's backing vocals that add so much to the textures of the songs. I find myself listening to her contribution more and more, so much so that I googled her and found your site. Bravo for giving her her due. I love Autumn Almanac btw, it's probably my all time favourite song. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes...