Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I'M AHEAD IF I CAN QUIT WHILE I'M BEHIND


Listen to I'M AHEAD IF I CAN QUIT WHILE I'M BEHIND by Jim Ford.

If you're into country-soul, Jim Ford is the man. He may be new to many of you as he is to me. However his songs were covered by amongst others Aretha Franklin, Bobby Womack, and The Temptations. Nick Lowe cites him as the biggest musical influence of his life. He even popped up as an uncredited player on Sly Stone's 'Riot' album. All this despite only releasing one LP in his lifetime, 1969's 'Harlan County'', which featured contributions from James Burton, Jim Keltner and Dr. John.

Jim Ford disappeared in the mid-70's amid drink, drugs, etc. He was tracked down in a trailer park in California in 2006 where a slew of master tapes including this unreleased song were found spread out over the floor of his mobile home. A compilation of these was released later that year called 'Sounds Of Our Time'. As many an artist has done after they receive their long overdue recognition, Jim Ford passed soon after. This tune, the sublimely titled 'I'm Ahead If I Can Quit While I'm Behind' is taken from a second album sourced from those tapes, 2007's 'Point Of No return'.

For mine the first few riffs sound like Terry Reid's 'Speak Now Or Forever Hold Your Peace'. Not a bad place to start. Enough faffing. I'll let you sit back and decide how it affects you. Enjoy.

(late minor edits.)

Photo: Snowy trees (2).

Home


No comments: