Tuesday, April 1, 2008

WE DON'T TALK ANYMORE


Listen to WE DON'T TALK ANYMORE by Cliff Richard.

This is such a strange song for me. I am as big an anglophile as I hope you'll ever meet--collecti[ng] NMEs in college, knowing more about the Johnstone's Paint Trophy than who made the Final Four, to name two examples of thousands, but every once in awhile, I'm reminded I don't actually know much about that culture at all. Like, how do you explain Cliff Richard?

When I read the man's biography, I don't even know where to start. It reads like it's in a foreign language, I don't recognize any of it. I don't know any of the Shadows tunes, I don't know any of the scores of movies he's been in, I can't fathom how he's had a chart hit in England each of the last six (!) decades (today's song gave him his only chart-topper in the 70s). The man has had like 140 singles, he's bigger than Elvis over there. Yet the only song I know, and what reminds me that at the end of the day, I'm an American, is We Don't Talk Anymore.

This 1979 tune hit pretty well over here, and I think even had an MTV video, which is where I think I first heard it, as a 1st grader. It's a good tune, but nothing too special, which makes me wonder why I always play it on every jukebox I can. It must be patriotism.

Photo: Merritt Parkway (2).

Home

7 comments:

Corbett said...

Sometimes I think you're reading my mind.

bill said...

Yes, past, present and future. Well, I added a link to that MTV video, by the way.

Corbett said...

By the way, great photos this week.

bill said...

thanks. I was a little sad to let them go, actually!

Anonymous said...

An anglophile who loves Cliff Richard? No-one here really likes Cliff. He has never been cool - even in the 50s he was seen as a lightweight Elvis. The brilliant TV series "The Young Ones" almost made him hip but I think the only time he came close was with his song "Wired for Sound". Close - but no dice.

bill said...

Yes, but that's not what I'm saying. I don't like Mariah Carey, and while I don't "get" how she's had so many hits, in a basic sense I can comprehend the phenomenon, I know the story, I understand who she is and how her career happened. None of these things I can say for Sir Cliff

Lady Beekeeper said...

I can't believe I let you watch MTV at that age...