Thursday, June 5, 2008

JUST A CLOSER WALK WITH THEE


Listen to JUST A CLOSER WALK WITH THEE by Ray Price.

This is the payoff post that nearly didn't happen (in fact, as I begin typing, it's not confirmed there is a payoff, yet). Recall that my grandfather left instructions for his funeral, which sadly took place last week. Included in those instructions was a specific request that Just A Closer Walk With Thee by Ray Price be played. I failed to find this version in time, which has had me in a funk.

But, how could I find this song on short notice? Price's rendition was included on an album called "How Great Thou Art," released by Word Records thirty years ago. Now, everybody knows Word Records. Since being founded by Jarrell McCracken in Waco, Texas back in 1951, it's become one of the premier Gospel labels in the country (thanks, Wikipedia!). Despite all that, Word never saw fit to keep "How Great Thou Art" in print, never released it on CD. Maybe it's on 8 track or cassette somewhere, but it definitely ain't on anywhere on the internet, much less on iTunes.

Still, once we got back from the funeral, we went crate-digging. We looked for it in New York, we looked for it in Los Angeles. I looked for it on eBay, and that's where I finally found it. It arrived in the mail the other day, and with an assist from a good friend, we got it transferred to m4amp3 today.

I'm not going to review the song today. I haven't heard it yet, as I finish typing, which makes it hard, but also because that's not really the point. I'm just going to put it on and think nice thoughts about my grandparents.

See you next week.

Photo: Most Holy Redeemer Church (4).

Home

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for following along that path, and taking us with you! I remember your Grandpa, on car trips, in converation pauses, always whistling reflectively, either with the radio or to an internal tune. It made me happy, most times...
Kathy