Friday, October 31, 2008

CHANGES


Listen to CHANGES by 2Pac.

Jason dropping in.

I wasn't sure where this post was heading. I got a kick out of William Katt appearing in episode 2 of this season's "Heroes" (nice nod - Katt was the star of "The Greatest American Hero" TV series of the early 80s). But I didn't notice him (he was the reporter that gets "Frozen") so I went to youtube. And the youtube refs linked to other TV series' of that time - series like "The Love Boat".

That was an interesting coincidence. Because that theme song's lyrics were by none other than Charles Fox of one of my previous posts.

Maybe I could talk about the singer Jack Jones - how he was apparently "rated highly by Frank Sinatra, Mel Tormé and Tony Bennett and a major influence on Scott Walker". How Judy Garland called him "the best jazz singer in the world" . How he recorded "Strangers in the Night" before Sinatra did.

Or how many celebrity guests of "The Love Boat" did so on "The Muppet Show" (another Aaron Spelling staple) - even to the point that Paul Williams wrote the music to the theme song (at my age then, I only knew him from his on-screen appearances with The Muppets - and maximum respect to the man, he wrote "The Rainbow Connection").

Or even something about where that fresh-faced crew from "The Pacific Princess" ended up (best link here).

Maybe it was the fact that Gopher became a four-term U.S. Representative for Iowa that got me thinking about the big E(lection) but 2Pac came into my head.

Once or twice a year I update my "J's top 20 songs of all time" playlist on the pod....and "Changes" has never left it. In it, he sings: "We ain't ready, to see a black President".

So for those of you reading this, and if you can vote, do the rest of us around the world a favour.

Vote. Him. In.

Or, as the Love Boat might say: "Set a course for adventure, your mind on a new romance" (Barack me Obamadeus).

Photo: Pushkar, India, 2001. Taken by Jason Bryant.

Home

No comments: