Thursday, December 18, 2008

SATURDAY NIGHT IN OAK GROVE LOUISIANA

Total Destruction To Your Catfish
Listen to SATURDAY NIGHT IN OAK GROVE LOUISIANA by Tony Joe White.

This mix I did in August 2005 might be my favorite one I ever put together. The song selection was really strong. It had a lot of tunes that not too many people would know, but were high quality. It maintained a consistent "swamp rock" vibe through the whole thing, and the cover was pretty great too.

Take today's song. Some of you may have heard of Tony Joe White, or maybe a song like Polk Salad Annie. But I doubt many of you have heard Saturday Night. And it just kills. Two minutes of redneck funk, totally laid back, confident, swingin.' It's a great tune and I was really proud of myself for tracking it down!

The sad thing is, not too many people ever heard this mix. I made a bunch of copies at the end of August to pass out to people (this is before the blog, of course), and then Hurricane Katrina showed up. It's a good reminder to myself how traumatic that event was to me (to all of us), just watching it on TV, that I decided it would be in poor taste to distribute this little mix CD that has basically nothing to do with anything, but has the word destruction...and involves water...and music you might hear in Louisiana.

Photo: Total Destruction To Your Catfish.

Home

No comments: