Friday, January 19, 2007

HEDFAN


HEDFAN by Gillian Elisa.

If I said that this song was by a Welsh soap actress, comedienne, and celebrity doodler, even though that's all true, I would be creating false expectations in the minds of you listeners.

Because it's not awful. It's actually amazing. It's got a real splendiferous, glam sound (recorded in 1975) but it's got even more than that. I don't know if it's due to Ms. Elisa's pipes or the fact that she's singing in exotic, consonant-y Welsh, but there's something seriously sublime, mysterious, and unsettling about this song.

I got this towards the end of 2005 from the Welsh Rare Beat compilation, which was a real pleasure, and Hedfan in particular grew to become one of my favorite and most-played tracks of 2006.

LISTEN.

Photo: Fog on 5th Avenue.

Home

No comments: