Monday, February 26, 2007

DREAM


DREAM by Al Green.

I made several attempts last night to decide on a song, along with several attempts to get some rest. Of the latter the first try was around 7:30 p.m., and I didn't get much more than an hour or two at a stretch, due to this cold I've caught. So for irony's sake, Dream is the right pick.

It's also an all time favorite going all the way back to our sophomore year in college, when Jimmie brought home "The Belle Album" one day. Al Green is one of those artists whose exposure is like a gorge: deep, but narrow. Everybody knows Let's Stay Together, for example, but very few people actually go out and get his lesser-known albums. Dream is unusual for having been self-produced by Al instead of by Willie Mitchell; it's also 7 and 1/2 minutes long. But it's class, and it was the song I kept humming to myself last night as I tried to get some rest.

LISTEN.

Photo: Buffalo Bill (3).

Home

No comments: