Monday, October 29, 2007

HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT FOR YOU?

HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT FOR YOU? by Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings.

Just about Woodstock again, briefly. Our new theory is that while the house we stayed in wasn't Big Pink, it was where Robbie Robertson stopped to get a steam shower (or something) on the way to Big Pink. No matter, The Rivals set up a little studio and laid down a few fun tracks, and everybody got to participate in the fun, and when it finally stopped raining, it was a lovely weekend.

One thing I did was to make a few CDs of music I've picked up the last couple of weeks. This week I'll share three of the songs that went over best with the gang.

The first is from Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings. Ms. Jones and co. have a brand new album out, called "100 Days, 100 Nights," which got me thinking about this music. My first instinct has always been proceed with caution. Her music has garnered a lot of praise the last few years, but I've suspected for the wrong reasons. "It sounds just like the 70s." "It's so awesomely retro!" Believe it or not, I'm suspicious of these nostalgia exercises in music (not to say hostile--I just think they rarely work as new or old music). But to be fair, everything I had heard from this group has been good, and so I finally broke down and ordered her last album, "Naturally."

How Long Do I Have To Wait For You? is from "Naturally," and I think everyone liked it. The remarkable thing about it to me is how busy the band is without over-filling the sound. There's plenty of space for Jones to do her thing.

LISTEN.

Photo: Woodstock (1).

Home

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about posting some of the Rivals, here, with the girls doing backup?

Love, Mom